To apply, please click HERE.
Does your nonprofit organization have a volunteer that puts their heart and soul into their charitable work? Perhaps they were the “spark” that got a charitable project or program off the ground. The Community Foundation of Greater Muscatine wants to help you recognize that “one-in-a-million” citizen by accepting nominations for the annual Great Initiative Award.
A $1,500 stipend is available to the winner who has primarily served as the impetus behind the great initiative and who championed it resulting in a plan, program, service or organization that makes our communities and country great.
To nominate an individual for the Great Initiative Award, review the Award Guidelines, complete the Nomination Form and include letters of support from members of the community who can attest to the charitable work being done by the nominee.
Great Initiative Award Guidelines
- Will be awarded to a person who exemplifies the kind of personal determination and ability that the Inaugural Award Recipient Shirley Jean Drake has – always ethical, cheerful, and inspirational – a leader of great initiatives.
- Will be awarded to a person who primarily served as the impetus behind the Great Initiative and who championed it resulting in a plan, program, service, or organization that improves quality of life in our community.
- Will positively impact one or more important areas like cultural, educational, environmental, financial, health, social, and/or public that have proven meaningful for our area and people.
- Will focus on quality initiatives, not necessarily evidenced by “bricks and mortar.”
- Nominee must have performed volunteer activities, service or assistance in Muscatine County in the last twelve months.
- However, the Great Initiative sparked by this volunteer may have taken place prior to the last twelve months.
- Elected officials are not eligible for nomination/selection.
- Groups and organizations are not eligible for nomination/selection.
- Those who received a wage or payment to devise or implement the Great Initiative.
- Current members of the Selection Committee and Board of Directors of the Community Foundation of Greater Muscatine are not eligible.
Recipient: The award recipient will be recognized at the annual Community Foundation Celebration and will receive a $1,500 stipend to be directed to the recipient’s charity or charitable cause of choice.
Past Recipients of the Great Initiative Award:
Megan Zalzala for the upgrade to the playground at Kimberly Park, the oldest park in West Liberty.
Mel McMains for his many years in leading the Community Foundation’s Investment Committee.
Jim Sammons for fostering the Laundry of Love initiative.
Dr. Carol Moreno for her work in establishing, developing and sustaining the West Liberty Dream Catchers program.
Jim Weigand for a program delivering Thanksgiving meals to those in need.
Frank Illiff for bringing Rebuilding Together to Muscatine County.
Santos Saucedo for creating the Muscatine County Boxing Club.
Maryrose Peterschmidt for the Zoo Garden at Weed Park.
Lee Miller for the Civil War Memorial
Shirley Jean Drake as our inaugural year recipient for leaving a legacy of great initiatives across our community, county and state. Through her personal determination, ethics and cheerfulness, Shirley modeled the spark and drive that made people want to follow her, carry out and champion her initiatives. Many of those initiatives continue to inspire people to create positive change for our communities today.