To honor Tom’s decades of volunteer service and leadership, the annual Tom Hendricks Community Service Award will be awarded to a non-profit organization.
Muscatine Charities, Inc., a 501(c)3 charitable tax-exempt non-profit organization, has established this Endowment Fund within the Community Foundation of Greater Muscatine to honor Tom Hendricks’ volunteer leadership and service to the greater Muscatine community. Hendricks, a founder and charter member of Muscatine Charities, Inc., was inducted into the 2016 Iowa Volunteer Hall of Fame by Governor Terry E Branstad during the ceremony at the State Capitol as part of the National Volunteer Week celebration activities. In concert with the award, Hendricks also received the People’s Choice Award by recording the largest total vote of all candidates considered. This voting by Muscatine area residents is indicative of our community’s high esteem for Tom Hendricks.
- Be a non-profit organization* successfully implementing an important initiative which addresses critical needs or enhances quality of life. The initiative should be consistent with their mission.
- Serve Muscatine County residents
- Have utilized volunteers in the initiative
- Focus on quality initiatives and may encompass any charitable aspects of non-profits including programs, services, capital, organizational, or other needs
- Positively impact one or more important areas, listed here in priority order:
- Youth: their safety, health, education, pursuit of excellence, physical activity
- Seniors: their safety, health, physical activity
- Health and/or well-being
- Disaster response
- All others
*Non-profit organizations must be charitable organizations described in sections 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code or have a component fund within the Community Foundation.
To make a nomination, please click here.
The award recipient will be recognized at the annual Community Foundation Celebration and will receive a $1,500 stipend to be directed to the recipient organization.
Past Recipients for the Tom Hendricks Community Service Award:
Muscatine Children and Youth Choir for implementing an initiative beneficial to the health and well-being of the children in our community, as well as providing enriching and educational opportunities.
United Way of Muscatine for taking on the Summer Lunch Program to ensure the children of our community receive the nutrition they need during summer months. United Way also partnered with many community organizations to provide a rotating schedule of enrichment activities, which helped increase the number of children and families attending the meal sites. With each new year, United Way has gone above and beyond in making the Summer Lunch Program better and brighter than the previous.
Ag Learning Center for providing an affordable situation for every Agriculture student to have and care for livestock and agriculture products. This center is helping the students today become tomorrow’s productive citizens.